A Face For Print?

Friday, February 2, 2007
I could not for the life of me figure out why the New York Times ran this photo of Senator Barack Obama for this article:


The article has nothing to do with him being interviewed. The photo has nothing to do with whether or nor Obama will get the Black vote. (Though, I suppose that that is a hard premise to illustrate with a photo.) I guess it's an interesting shot with a fresh feel, as opposed to a mic shot or a head shot. But everyone looks weird in it, it was--according to the caption--taken a month ago, and if I were that reporter, I'd be pretty uncomfortable being in the Times. Reporters report the news and let others feature in it. (Though, are there really print reporters who don't even carry a notebook? Hopefully hers is in a bag I can't see.)

Photos never struck me until I was a mid-level news editor at my school paper, and so I still don't know a lot about them. But I know when I cringe. This was one of those times. I'll be interested to see what it looks like in print.

Photo credit: David Scull for the New York Times via www.nytimes.com

0 Responses to 'A Face For Print?'

Search This Blog

Contact Me

Written Pyramids is a blog written by a journalist living and working in Washington D.C.

I have left my real name off of the blog so as not to imply that the blog is somehow linked with the journalism I get paid to do. (Still, I never write about my beat on this blog, and rarely express opinions about the day's news regardless of its relationship to my beat).

I would love to hear from you. If you want to contact me directly rather than leaving a comment here, I can be reached at WrittenPyramids@gmail.com.

Blog Archive

Books pyramid image originally from the British website, Explore Writing.