Children Are Cute

Monday, January 28, 2008
Overheard in Hebrew School

Child 1: (pointing to my iBook G4) That's your laptop? It's so thick!
Me: No it's not! It's not the new Air computer, but it's not thick!
Child 2: Yes. It's so old!
Me: I got it my junior year of college. It's two and a half years old.
Child 3: Wait, so you just graduated?
Me: Yes.
Child 3: Like, just?
Me: Yes. In May.
Child 3: Then how are you teaching?
Me: What?
Child 3: Aren't you supposed to be a lawyer or something?
Me: WHAT?
Child 3: Aren't you supposed to have a real job? How do you only teach on Sundays?
Me: Well, Monday through Friday I work as a journalist.
Child 4: (clearly excited by my career choice) YES!

Thanks for cheering me on, kids.

Relatedly,
Me: Please put the book away. Please stop reading.
Student: (exasperated) That's like telling a fish to stop swimming.

0 Responses to 'Children Are Cute'

Search This Blog

Contact Me

Written Pyramids is a blog written by a journalist living and working in Washington D.C.

I have left my real name off of the blog so as not to imply that the blog is somehow linked with the journalism I get paid to do. (Still, I never write about my beat on this blog, and rarely express opinions about the day's news regardless of its relationship to my beat).

I would love to hear from you. If you want to contact me directly rather than leaving a comment here, I can be reached at WrittenPyramids@gmail.com.

Blog Archive

Books pyramid image originally from the British website, Explore Writing.