I have been getting increasingly excited about my college newspaper's alumni dinner. As in counting down the days excited. Sure, I am thrilled to be spending a weekend with my friends, and I really like getting dressed up in a cute black dress, high heels and pretty jewelery. Plus, the speaker will be great.

But really, I am excited to be surrounded by the people who worked for that newspaper.

I really really miss my paper. I miss the pressure of being involved in daily production (filing is not the same). I miss caring so deeply for the paper and the editors that the stupidest things can make you cry or scream. I miss having a place where I was respected for my knowledge and experience (as opposed to now, were I am the youngest and least knowledgeable in the newsroom). I miss being in charge. I miss working and arguing with my peers. I miss feeling the need to defend my paper to anyone who dares criticize it. I miss cheering on the new writers, and rolling my eyes with the older ones. I miss the gross smell of an office where people, who do not shower nearly as often as they should, stay up all night.

So yes, I do still read my college paper every day. Yes, I still groan when the new writers an editors make mistakes, and I try not to actually point out those mistakes too often. I get really excited when the Web site looks good and reads well. I talk about that newspaper way too often. I am excited to be going back to college, even if it's just for one night.

2 Responses to 'The Most Personal Post This Blog Has Ever Seen'

  1. Unknown said...
    http://writtenpyramids.blogspot.com/2008/02/most-personal-post-this-blog-has-ever.html?showComment=1203036900000#c4115898763506177245'> February 14, 2008 at 7:55 PM

    this makes me kind of scared of graduation.

     

  2. Elisheva said...
    http://writtenpyramids.blogspot.com/2008/02/most-personal-post-this-blog-has-ever.html?showComment=1203569700000#c949419722217561000'> February 20, 2008 at 11:55 PM

    As well you should be, Erin. Fail a class or two. Don't graduate.

     

Search This Blog

Contact Me

Written Pyramids is a blog written by a journalist living and working in Washington D.C.

I have left my real name off of the blog so as not to imply that the blog is somehow linked with the journalism I get paid to do. (Still, I never write about my beat on this blog, and rarely express opinions about the day's news regardless of its relationship to my beat).

I would love to hear from you. If you want to contact me directly rather than leaving a comment here, I can be reached at WrittenPyramids@gmail.com.

Blog Archive

Books pyramid image originally from the British website, Explore Writing.