On Deadline? Waste Time With Deadline!

Monday, February 4, 2008
I recently found a new time waster. Deadline is a facebook game that asks you to answer news questions as fast as possible, in multiple choice format.

The more quickly you get correct answers, the more points you get. And, in Who Wants To Be a Millionaire (remember that show?) style, you get "cheats" like 50/50 or "poll the audience." (I have no idea who "the audience" is). Sometimes some of the choices are ridiculous. One of the possible answers for "Why did Palestinians rush over the border into Egypt?" was "a reverse reenactment of the splitting of the Red Sea." Also, I have discovered that playing really late at night leads me to do stupid things like choose "John McCain" as the answer to "Who won the Democratic primary in South Carolina."

But what really gets me is the levels. As you get more points you get promoted. Here are the titles you can receive:

Paperboy -->Cub Reporter-->Blogger -->Foreign Correspondent -->News Anchor -->Editor -->Editor-in-Chief -->Media Mogul-->Mastermind-->Deadline Brainiac.

(As of writing this post, no one on facebook has reached the top level yet).

I get the paperboy to cub thing even though it's not realistic. But cub reporter to blogger? Or even weirder blogger to foreign correspondent? To television? And as recent news from the LATimes newsroom might indicate, I suspect there are very few EIC's who EVER want to become a media mogul.

But I like the game enough to suspend disbelief.

I'm working on getting promoted to news anchor.

0 Responses to 'On Deadline? Waste Time With Deadline!'

Search This Blog

Contact Me

Written Pyramids is a blog written by a journalist living and working in Washington D.C.

I have left my real name off of the blog so as not to imply that the blog is somehow linked with the journalism I get paid to do. (Still, I never write about my beat on this blog, and rarely express opinions about the day's news regardless of its relationship to my beat).

I would love to hear from you. If you want to contact me directly rather than leaving a comment here, I can be reached at WrittenPyramids@gmail.com.

Blog Archive

Books pyramid image originally from the British website, Explore Writing.