A Different Kind Of Reporter

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Today, I saw a reporter who seemed to come from... I don't know. Maybe the early 1900's? I have a feeling that reporters never really dressed like this. In the early 1900's they weren't dapper, just drunk and uneducated. This guy was wearing a full suit -- we were in Pittsburgh not on the Hill.
The protester we were interviewing mistook him at first as a conference organizer, apologizing with a slight laugh for interrupting the conference, where she had helpedreleease hundreds of balloons to the ballroom cieling.
"Oh, no," he said. "I'm a reporter. That was when I noticed his mustache. It was a bushy, gray mustache with two long, thin, twisted pieces waxed up into long curlicues-- is that the right word? Oh. Maybe handlebars?
I don't think I've ever seen one quite like it. Later, the protester, gray haired, but loud, wearing a "COAL IS DIRTY" t-shirt, asked the reporter to clear up what she saw as the editorial board's faulty reporting. He tried three times to cut in before he managed to say. "I don't have anything to do with editorial. I'm just a business reporter.
Do business reporters wear suits and crazy mustaches? I only know one, and I don't know if he wears suits (I doubt it), but I know he does not have a mustache.

0 Responses to 'A Different Kind Of Reporter'

Search This Blog

Contact Me

Written Pyramids is a blog written by a journalist living and working in Washington D.C.

I have left my real name off of the blog so as not to imply that the blog is somehow linked with the journalism I get paid to do. (Still, I never write about my beat on this blog, and rarely express opinions about the day's news regardless of its relationship to my beat).

I would love to hear from you. If you want to contact me directly rather than leaving a comment here, I can be reached at WrittenPyramids@gmail.com.

Blog Archive

Books pyramid image originally from the British website, Explore Writing.