The Perils of Not Reading the Book

Tuesday, July 8, 2008
Paper Cuts, the blog of the New York Times' Book Review staff, had a slide show up a couple of weeks ago that featured some of the fun things promoting books that publishers mail to them in hoped of getting a book reviewed. These things range from Trojan horses to ties to tennis balls. Throughout the amusing slide show, the writers stress that there are rules about accepting the gifts, and that the gifts do not influence their reviewing decision. Sometimes, they don't even know what the gift was supposed to promote.

But you know what they don't do? They don't take a press release from one book and attribute it to another. Because, that's the only way I can imagine this mistake showed up in The Guardian.

"James Harding's book Alpha Dogs is not a searing, gripping novel as we said in a diary item, page 31, June 26. It is a work of nonfiction about a firm of US political strategists."

Oops. By the way, the full name of the book is Alpha Dogs: The Americans who Turned Political Spin into a Global Business. Sounds like a searing, gripping novel to me,

0 Responses to 'The Perils of Not Reading the Book'

Search This Blog

Contact Me

Written Pyramids is a blog written by a journalist living and working in Washington D.C.

I have left my real name off of the blog so as not to imply that the blog is somehow linked with the journalism I get paid to do. (Still, I never write about my beat on this blog, and rarely express opinions about the day's news regardless of its relationship to my beat).

I would love to hear from you. If you want to contact me directly rather than leaving a comment here, I can be reached at WrittenPyramids@gmail.com.

Blog Archive

Books pyramid image originally from the British website, Explore Writing.