Lost In Translation

Tuesday, August 12, 2008
From the New York Times' coverage of synchronized diving:

"The largely Chinese crowd responded with a roar, waving oversized flags and shouting “jia you,” a cheer meaning “add oil.”"

"Huh," I thought, "that's weird, why would the Times not explain why the Chinese would cheer 'add oil.'" At an unspecified time the newspaper resolved the problem by fixing the text without issuing a correction. The article now reads:

"The largely Chinese crowd responded with a roar, waving oversized flags and shouting “Jia you,” a cheer meaning “Come on!”"

Ah ha. That makes sense, if only readers knew that it was corrected, and more curiously, how that mistranslation got in there. Actually is seems to be a literal translation that was then fixed to make sense. Either way, it's strange.

Photo of a Chinese restaurant via AdFreak. It has nothing to do with diving, but it amazing in its own right

0 Responses to 'Lost In Translation'

Search This Blog

Contact Me

Written Pyramids is a blog written by a journalist living and working in Washington D.C.

I have left my real name off of the blog so as not to imply that the blog is somehow linked with the journalism I get paid to do. (Still, I never write about my beat on this blog, and rarely express opinions about the day's news regardless of its relationship to my beat).

I would love to hear from you. If you want to contact me directly rather than leaving a comment here, I can be reached at WrittenPyramids@gmail.com.

Blog Archive

Books pyramid image originally from the British website, Explore Writing.