December

Thursday, December 11, 2008
I once had the belief that if -- while cold or wet -- I simply said to myself "well this is nothing like the time you covered the transit strike in December and couldn't feel your legs for hours" (for cold) or "well this is nothing like the time you stood outside in the rain to write about McCain's speech, and then had to stick around in the mud and wet after all the other reporters could go home" (for wet) then I would somehow, in the present moment feel less wet or less cold.

I have since determined that this is hogwash. I cannot pinpoint a time that I was colder than that night standing outside of a bus station waiting for the striking bus drivers who never arrived. Nor can I think of a time -- short of swimming or a shower--when I was more wet than the afternoon I covered McCain. But the memory of those moments does not suffice. The fact that I am cold and wet right now is not abated by the fact that three years ago (almost to the day!) I was colder and two-and-a-half years ago I was wetter.

Just something I thought I would share after coming back from a hibernation because I've been playing around with this.

1 Response to 'December'

  1. Unknown said...
    http://writtenpyramids.blogspot.com/2008/12/i-once-had-belief-that-if-while-cold-or.html?showComment=1229060400000#c4822642894295151264'> December 12, 2008 at 12:40 AM

    I was definitely colder, probably not wetter but the gross rain abetted the cold, at the precint on my surprise overnight shift on the Plaxico night. If we're looking for poitns of comparison, that is...

     

Search This Blog

Contact Me

Written Pyramids is a blog written by a journalist living and working in Washington D.C.

I have left my real name off of the blog so as not to imply that the blog is somehow linked with the journalism I get paid to do. (Still, I never write about my beat on this blog, and rarely express opinions about the day's news regardless of its relationship to my beat).

I would love to hear from you. If you want to contact me directly rather than leaving a comment here, I can be reached at WrittenPyramids@gmail.com.

Blog Archive

Books pyramid image originally from the British website, Explore Writing.