And I weigh into the favorite debate...

Monday, January 8, 2007
Are newspapers dying?

I have to say no. I don't want to be out of a job before I get one. But then on one page (notice how I said page. I read the paper at my kitchen table turning pages properly.) The New York Times prints this and this. And the Wall Street Journal does this on the same day. (I can't decide if that's good or bad or neither. The WSJ is essential to the Wall Street crowd and is in no way going to disappear soon.) And last week The New York Times printed this and this. STOP ALREADY. Seriously. Either stop writing about it, or get off your respective butts and do something about it. PLEASE?

It's worth noting that The New York Times removed themselves from the mess by saying their D.C. bureau was not shrinking. That's what Bill Keller said about the paper as a whole when he spoke to a room full of aspiring journalists. "I'll be collecting resumes at the door," he quipped. And the next semester, they fired half their newsroom. Oops.

That's why I'm starting an outreach program. Kids are going to become adults who read newspapers even if I have to force them.

End rant.

0 Responses to 'And I weigh into the favorite debate...'

Search This Blog

Contact Me

Written Pyramids is a blog written by a journalist living and working in Washington D.C.

I have left my real name off of the blog so as not to imply that the blog is somehow linked with the journalism I get paid to do. (Still, I never write about my beat on this blog, and rarely express opinions about the day's news regardless of its relationship to my beat).

I would love to hear from you. If you want to contact me directly rather than leaving a comment here, I can be reached at WrittenPyramids@gmail.com.

Blog Archive

Books pyramid image originally from the British website, Explore Writing.