Every honest researcher I know admits he's just a professional amateur. He's doing whatever he's doing for the first time. That makes him an amateur. He has sense enough to know that he's going to have a lot of trouble, so that makes him a professional.
-- Charles Franklin Kettering (1876-1958) U. S. engineer and inventor.


My mom sent that to me because the same is often true of reporting. I wonder if that means I am professionally applying to jobs.

Today, a professor said that that was what was wonderful about journalism, that you were always churning out material, always being asked to draw on what you know and if you don't know it, learn it quickly. Which makes me wonder why I am rushing to leave school. Maybe I can find a way to just start school over. Or maybe I can remember that I learned more reporting than I did in any classroom. I'd take the streets of New York over a classroom any day.

UPDATE 1/24 2:22 a.m. : I got a summer job today. (Or yesterday, depending on how you count days.) I guess that makes me professionally working at a newspaper (for three months at least) instead of professionally wishing I was working at a newspaper. Hurrah!

0 Responses to '"... he's going to have a lot of trouble, so that makes him a professional."'

Search This Blog

Contact Me

Written Pyramids is a blog written by a journalist living and working in Washington D.C.

I have left my real name off of the blog so as not to imply that the blog is somehow linked with the journalism I get paid to do. (Still, I never write about my beat on this blog, and rarely express opinions about the day's news regardless of its relationship to my beat).

I would love to hear from you. If you want to contact me directly rather than leaving a comment here, I can be reached at WrittenPyramids@gmail.com.

Blog Archive

Books pyramid image originally from the British website, Explore Writing.