"To signal older audiences that the Teletubbies are not just for bib-wearers any more, the campaign also includes handbags designed by Isaac Mizrahi, which will be auctioned on eBay to raise money for the charities; T-shirts, underwear and other apparel priced as high as $28; social networking features on the Web site; and a rock concert at a Virgin Megastore." Teletubbies for teens?? Tell me they're joking. The Daily News has a great photo illustration of the "Teletubbies invasion"(right).

I remember when my mother had to search for the store with the highest limit on Beanie Baby purchases and then bring in co-workers so she could buy enough of them for my sister's bat-mitzvah. But the new craze is, well, crazier: “This is bigger than Beanie Babies. With those you’re playing all by yourself. With these, you can do that, too, but you can also go on the site and chit-chat with your friends.” That's right. Imagination is not enough anymore. You need to be able to play with your stuffed animals on the Internet. I am pretty sure that my sisters and I figured out how to play with Beanie Babies in groups. But that was when social interactions could happen in person.

And this, has actually nothing to do with this world, but it brings out my inner astronomy geek. A collection of Times stories on life in outer space! Pretty pictures! What more can you want?

0 Responses to 'Headlines: What is the World Coming To Edition'

Search This Blog

Contact Me

Written Pyramids is a blog written by a journalist living and working in Washington D.C.

I have left my real name off of the blog so as not to imply that the blog is somehow linked with the journalism I get paid to do. (Still, I never write about my beat on this blog, and rarely express opinions about the day's news regardless of its relationship to my beat).

I would love to hear from you. If you want to contact me directly rather than leaving a comment here, I can be reached at WrittenPyramids@gmail.com.

Blog Archive

Books pyramid image originally from the British website, Explore Writing.