New York's Character, D.C.'s Rules

Sunday, March 16, 2008
Sure, the Times made me sad, but today I miss New York.

Tomorrow morning, I need to have a costume for Hebrew school. I am going as a cat. There is no way I will have time in the morning, so I have made ears out of paper, markers and a headband, and I have made a tail by pinning black stockings to my skirt.

I will have to travel to school with the stockings attached to my skirt. In New York, no one would blink twice. I would even be able to wear the ears without attracting many stares.

Here, people will notice. That rule about not making eye contact doesn't exist. And there are fewer characters on the subway: no preachers, Mariachi bands, homeless women fighting with passengers, no artists sketching the passengers. Just people prominently displaying their government ID's, and tourists looking very confused and very pleased with themselves for having made it to the Nation's capital.

There is no one wearing tails made of stockings.

Maybe I'll eat on the Metro to distract people from my tail.

0 Responses to 'New York's Character, D.C.'s Rules'

Search This Blog

Contact Me

Written Pyramids is a blog written by a journalist living and working in Washington D.C.

I have left my real name off of the blog so as not to imply that the blog is somehow linked with the journalism I get paid to do. (Still, I never write about my beat on this blog, and rarely express opinions about the day's news regardless of its relationship to my beat).

I would love to hear from you. If you want to contact me directly rather than leaving a comment here, I can be reached at WrittenPyramids@gmail.com.

Blog Archive

Books pyramid image originally from the British website, Explore Writing.