A year ago, almost to the day, I mocked the Spiderman 3 movie, in particular its take on corrections.
"Also, who issues retractions off of their front page with a half-page headline "Sorry Spidey"?" I wrote.
The answer, it seems, is the Boston Herald, who ran an even larger "SORRY PATS" headline off its front page.
Bostonians like their sports teams. The paper is struggling (how sad is it that a city paper has only 10 metro reporters?). The story generated all sorts of attention--including senatorial-- (Why??) and it's own __gate name (Spygate? Really?). But there is really no excuse for this.

It should be noted though that I will forever have a soft spot in my heart for the Herald, since it generated this graf in the Post:

"Tabloids in some cases say what other papers only think," says Convey, the Herald's editor, whose office faces a freeway separating the paper's unfashionable neighborhood from the blue-collar enclave of Southie. "If you don't have fun putting out a tabloid, you're brain-dead."

2 Responses to 'Boston Herald Takes Cues From Fictional Daily Bugle'

  1. Unknown said...
    http://writtenpyramids.blogspot.com/2008/05/boston-herald-takes-cues-from-fictional.html?showComment=1210905600000#c5687927423627128303'> May 15, 2008 at 10:40 PM

    I actually think it's kinda refreshing, in a weird way...

     

  2. Anonymous said...
    http://writtenpyramids.blogspot.com/2008/05/boston-herald-takes-cues-from-fictional.html?showComment=1212778200000#c1907350879269502557'> June 6, 2008 at 2:50 PM

    Beats this front page
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/01262008/photos/front012608.jpg
    Published after the NYPD completely eviscerated the Post for being inaccurate

     

Search This Blog

Contact Me

Written Pyramids is a blog written by a journalist living and working in Washington D.C.

I have left my real name off of the blog so as not to imply that the blog is somehow linked with the journalism I get paid to do. (Still, I never write about my beat on this blog, and rarely express opinions about the day's news regardless of its relationship to my beat).

I would love to hear from you. If you want to contact me directly rather than leaving a comment here, I can be reached at WrittenPyramids@gmail.com.

Blog Archive

Books pyramid image originally from the British website, Explore Writing.