Any young Washington Post reporter or intern or copy editor--or really almost anyone who was in elementary shool after 1972, when the book was published--should have caught the blatant mistake in this article. :

"Blume, not surprisingly, won over fourth-graders with her "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing," the first of several books about Peter Warren Hatcher, who prefers to be called "Fudge."

They could have even read the back cover of the book: (Available on Amazon.)

"Two is a crowd when Peter and his little brother, Fudge, are in the same room."

You see? One sentence and you know that Peter and Fudge are different people. Peter would have been so mad at the Washington Post. (As I imagine legions of Judy Blume fans are).

UPDATE 05/08: The Post published a correction, which indicated that the writer has not read Tales of A Fourth Grade Nothing OR The Outsiders (though to his credit, I would not have been able to tell you where The Outsiders takes place. Actually, no. He could have looked that up too).

CORRECTION TO THIS ARTICLE
Earlier versions of this article incorrectly described the setting of S.E. Hinton's book "The Outsiders." It was set in Tulsa, not in Tucson. The article also incorrectly reported the character Peter Warren Hatcher in Judy Blume's "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing" preferred to be called "Fudge." His younger brother, Farley, used the nickname. This version has been corrected.

0 Responses to 'Fact Check? At LEAST Ask Your Fourth Grader. UPDATED'

Search This Blog

Contact Me

Written Pyramids is a blog written by a journalist living and working in Washington D.C.

I have left my real name off of the blog so as not to imply that the blog is somehow linked with the journalism I get paid to do. (Still, I never write about my beat on this blog, and rarely express opinions about the day's news regardless of its relationship to my beat).

I would love to hear from you. If you want to contact me directly rather than leaving a comment here, I can be reached at WrittenPyramids@gmail.com.

Blog Archive

Books pyramid image originally from the British website, Explore Writing.