A man in a large, deep-blue shirt with a faded picture, and jeans stands over the water fountain at the circle, he squints into a compact mirror--the kind I bought for 99 cents in CVS and then threw away because the mirror was too small and the latch too hard to open--as he rinses shaving cream off of his face and runs his razor across the few remaining places.

Across the path which lets pedestrians enter the circle, there is a bench covered in blankets. The benches are unusually empty this morning, so I guess the blankets belong to him.

A father hurries his family through the cross-walk into the circle. They notice the man shaving.
"Personal hygiene. That's more than I can say for myself," he muses, running his hand over his chin.

On the other side of the circle, another family hurries through the opposite crosswalk.

As they walk into the circle, the mother, presumably in answer to a question, says, "it's a guy on a horse."

"George Washington," I mutter to myself. "It's George Washington. Can't you tell? Besides, you are in Washington Circle." I resist the urge to yell.

0 Responses to 'Metro Moments: Tourists and Residents Edition'

Search This Blog

Contact Me

Written Pyramids is a blog written by a journalist living and working in Washington D.C.

I have left my real name off of the blog so as not to imply that the blog is somehow linked with the journalism I get paid to do. (Still, I never write about my beat on this blog, and rarely express opinions about the day's news regardless of its relationship to my beat).

I would love to hear from you. If you want to contact me directly rather than leaving a comment here, I can be reached at WrittenPyramids@gmail.com.

Blog Archive

Books pyramid image originally from the British website, Explore Writing.