Word Play

Sunday, May 18, 2008

When I was little -- in second or third grade--there was a large sign at the end of my block that was, for months, covered in black cloth. Once, sitting in the car, I confessed to my mother that I was endlessly curious about what the sign was. We threw a few ideas back and forth, and then she pulled over, and held me up so I could look under the cloth. It was hard to see, but a few days later, it was revealed: "END ROAD WORK" it said.
But the mystery was not over.
Who would be protesting roadwork, I wondered, and why would they have waited so long to launch their protest?
The road work protesters remain a mystery until this day.

P.S. In college, my paper ran a banner headline, "Protestors Storm The Stage." Protestors is an alternate spelling, but it is not the accepted newspaper spelling, so the horrified head copy editor wrote a large sign "Protesters NOT Protestors." A few days later, the EIC saw the sign, and blanched as he held up the newspaper in question and the sign. "How did this happen?" he asked incredulous. He calmed down when we explained that at least it was a spelling. A little. I remember his horrified face and that sign every time I type the word "protesters".

0 Responses to 'Word Play'

Search This Blog

Contact Me

Written Pyramids is a blog written by a journalist living and working in Washington D.C.

I have left my real name off of the blog so as not to imply that the blog is somehow linked with the journalism I get paid to do. (Still, I never write about my beat on this blog, and rarely express opinions about the day's news regardless of its relationship to my beat).

I would love to hear from you. If you want to contact me directly rather than leaving a comment here, I can be reached at WrittenPyramids@gmail.com.

Blog Archive

Books pyramid image originally from the British website, Explore Writing.