Metro Moments: Big Dreams Edition

Wednesday, June 18, 2008
A mother tries to shepherd her two children across the street. The girl moves slowly as she tries to pull the small braids into a single ponytail on the top of her head.

Her slightly younger brother hurries to the middle of the street, sticks out his palm to stop the absent traffic on the street that is only busy in the morning, and waves his sister across, barely avoiding touching her back as he urges her to keep walking. He drops his hands at his mother's second urging, and exclaims, "I've always wanted to be a crossing guard!"

Walking home, I am at first struck by the smallness of his dreams.

And then, for a moment, I imagine being that small. In elementary school, when all the cars are so much larger than you are and when you are told over and over again, being able to stop traffic, must seem like a super power. And, at his age, he probably still thinks the reflective vests are cool.

His dreams are--in many ways--as big as they come.

0 Responses to 'Metro Moments: Big Dreams Edition'

Search This Blog

Contact Me

Written Pyramids is a blog written by a journalist living and working in Washington D.C.

I have left my real name off of the blog so as not to imply that the blog is somehow linked with the journalism I get paid to do. (Still, I never write about my beat on this blog, and rarely express opinions about the day's news regardless of its relationship to my beat).

I would love to hear from you. If you want to contact me directly rather than leaving a comment here, I can be reached at WrittenPyramids@gmail.com.

Blog Archive

Books pyramid image originally from the British website, Explore Writing.