This is an e-mail sent to me by a friend. It is so true, that I am just posting the e-mail in its entirety. It demonstrates excellently, how serious NYTimes' Executive Editor Bill Keller was when he said that the news and opinion people only meet in the elevator.

From an A1 NYT article about Palin's time as mayor of Wasilla:

Shortly after becoming mayor, former city officials and Wasilla residents said, Ms. Palin approached the town librarian about the possibility of banning some books, though she never followed through and it was unclear which books or passages were in question.

Ann Kilkenny, a Democrat who said she attended every City Council meeting in Ms. Palin's first year in office, said Ms. Palin brought up the idea of banning some books at one meeting. "They were somehow morally or socially objectionable to her," Ms. Kilkenny said.

The librarian, Mary Ellen Emmons, pledged to "resist all efforts at censorship," Ms. Kilkenny recalled. Ms. Palin fired Ms. Emmons shortly after taking office but changed course after residents made a strong show of support. Ms. Emmons, who left her job and Wasilla a couple of years later, declined to comment for this article.


From a NYT editorial: "According to Time magazine, she also sought to have books banned from the local library and threatened to fire the librarian."

1 Response to 'Best Proof of Chinese Wall I've Seen in a While'

  1. K said...
    http://writtenpyramids.blogspot.com/2008/09/best-proof-of-chinese-wall-ive-seen-in.html?showComment=1222270800000#c5141805685778477312'> September 24, 2008 at 11:40 AM

    write more things, you lazy!

     

Search This Blog

Contact Me

Written Pyramids is a blog written by a journalist living and working in Washington D.C.

I have left my real name off of the blog so as not to imply that the blog is somehow linked with the journalism I get paid to do. (Still, I never write about my beat on this blog, and rarely express opinions about the day's news regardless of its relationship to my beat).

I would love to hear from you. If you want to contact me directly rather than leaving a comment here, I can be reached at WrittenPyramids@gmail.com.

Blog Archive

Books pyramid image originally from the British website, Explore Writing.