Why I Hate Trend Stories

Tuesday, September 2, 2008
In school, I railed against trend stories all the time: It's hard to make them actually true, and even if they are true, they are hard to prove.

Recently, I've been thawing a little bit. In one of my internships, I wrote a bunch of politics trend stories. And recently I wrote one that was backed with numbers and graphs and quotes, which is a bit of a coup.

And then Fox News has to go and shatter all of that warm and fuzzy feeling I was developing towards trend stories:


"The "Juno" effect seems to be reverberating all over the place.

In the year since Diablo Cody’s screenplay became Jason Reitman’s hit film, "Juno," we’ve seen unmarried 16-year-old Jamie Lynn Spears, single 22-year-old Ashlee Simpson and now 17-year-old unmarried Bristol Palin all get pregnant and decide to keep their babies....

For years, advocates on all sides of abortion and birth control issues have agreed on one thing: Unmarried teenagers should not get pregnant. They may have disagreed about whether abstinence or birth control were the best ways to accomplish this, but the end goal was the same.


Then "Juno" came along."

OMG! THREE'S A TREND!

Or, as a friend put it: "You're right. Teenagers never thought to get pregnant until they saw Juno."

It's not like there were pregnant teens in the premise of Gilmore Girls. Or Hester Prynne she totally must have been inspired by Juno 'cause that baby of hers was out of wedlock. So maybe its the Hester effect? The Lorelai effect?

5 Responses to 'Why I Hate Trend Stories'

  1. Anonymous said...
    http://writtenpyramids.blogspot.com/2008/09/why-i-hate-trend-stories.html?showComment=1220424660000#c246403785111289380'> September 3, 2008 at 2:51 AM

    Firstly Ashlee simpson wasnt single. She was with Pete whats his face and then they got married.

    Secondly I disagree. While I havent seen Juno yet ( I plan to soon) I dont think any movie can start a teen pregnancy trend. Have you seen "saved"? its a lame film with mandy moore and some christian girl has sex with her gay boyfriend and she gets pregnant. That came out way before Juno and there arent any christians with gay boyfriends having babies.

    I would like to think that these people are just ordinary people who took on the responsibility of having sex and then fell pregnant. They are now also having the baby sintead of any other options.

    I started watching Gilmore girls when i was 16 I'm now 22 and I have no children. Still love gilmore girls though!!

    I really think that the people in the media especially that vice president candidate's daughter are taking the option to be open with everyone and tell us instead of covering it up like they used to.

     

  2. LF said...
    http://writtenpyramids.blogspot.com/2008/09/why-i-hate-trend-stories.html?showComment=1220466180000#c7410213173974885106'> September 3, 2008 at 2:23 PM

    Sorry I had to delete this comment because I messed up. Here is the correct one:

    Queenbitch,
    Sorry that I wasn't clear; I had hoped the hed and the tenor of the post would have conveyed that I thought the premise was entirely ridiculous. The comment from my friend was also meant to be entirely sarcastic.

    "While I haven't seen Juno yet ( I plan to soon) I don't think any movie can start a teen pregnancy trend" is exactly the conclusion a rational person would come to. The author of the linked article seems to have no such rational thinking skills.

    I am not sure I would praise the press for covering Bristol so closely, but you do have a point about openness. It's certainly better than the way Hester and Pearl were treated in the Scarlet Letter.

     

  3. Anonymous said...
    http://writtenpyramids.blogspot.com/2008/09/why-i-hate-trend-stories.html?showComment=1220470380000#c5250246317566024653'> September 3, 2008 at 3:33 PM

    The last time I checked, teens were getting pregnant long before Juno's eggers were preggers.

    Great movie, by the way.

     

  4. Tom Faure said...
    http://writtenpyramids.blogspot.com/2008/09/why-i-hate-trend-stories.html?showComment=1220470380001#c4838505634537765808'> September 3, 2008 at 3:33 PM

    Hey, I'm a Christian girl with a gay boyfriend and I've had loads of babies. And I watched Juno and I even liked it despite its oh-so-unpopular status with hipsters who would just oh-so-hate to be pegged anything by an "adult" not-with-it community.

    Oh my God you should all follow my twitter account about my Christian gay babies!

     

  5. sj said...
    http://writtenpyramids.blogspot.com/2008/09/why-i-hate-trend-stories.html?showComment=1220473140000#c4928833001167015431'> September 3, 2008 at 4:19 PM

    i think it's beyond preposterous - and honestly, a bit lazy on the part of the journalists to declare such a trend.

    once upon a time, i was one, and i *know* that it's an easy story to jump on something in the national news and find a new spin on it. like for instance, call the local high schools and find out if pregnancies are on the rise (never mind whether or not they have been for the past several years PRIOR to the movie - an awesome movie - coming out.)

    it's all such silliness.

     

Search This Blog

Contact Me

Written Pyramids is a blog written by a journalist living and working in Washington D.C.

I have left my real name off of the blog so as not to imply that the blog is somehow linked with the journalism I get paid to do. (Still, I never write about my beat on this blog, and rarely express opinions about the day's news regardless of its relationship to my beat).

I would love to hear from you. If you want to contact me directly rather than leaving a comment here, I can be reached at WrittenPyramids@gmail.com.

Blog Archive

Books pyramid image originally from the British website, Explore Writing.