Headlines: Boston Edition

Sunday, May 20, 2007
The award for clever headline goes to this article: Lawmaker cuts budget to $3 a day
Get it? Because that's what lawmakers do all the time, but he just did it for himself. The article comes with money quotes like "I love food," and "The chicken was OK. The rice was gross -- soggy and cold." and this graf is incredible because it comes across as sad in its honesty:
They were accompanied by expert shopper Toinette Wilson, a single mother of three on food stamps who is earning a cosmetology license. Wilson offered tips: Buy bags of pasta, rice, and frozen vegetables.

The award for shrug-your-shoulders-and-walk-away-headline goes to this article: An uneventful ride on the Greenbush line

Granted it's an unexciting brief but....One of my favorite editors would read boring headlines or ledes, and if the headline sounded like this one, he would shrug his shoulders and say "You don't want me to read this article? OK. I won't." Let's hope the Times finds something more exciting when (if) the Second Avenue Subway line gets running.

And, best lede that accidently sounds funny: "BLOOMINGTON, Ill. --One of two eggs laid by a bald eagle at a central Illinois zoo is missing and authorities think the culprit could be a raccoon or a human.

A racoon or a human? Really? They've narrowed it down to two similiar culprits!

3 Responses to 'Headlines: Boston Edition'

  1. sofia serrano said...
    http://writtenpyramids.blogspot.com/2007/05/headlines-boston-edition.html?showComment=1180999020000#c953297484259029771'> June 4, 2007 at 7:17 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     

  2. Writer said...
    http://writtenpyramids.blogspot.com/2007/05/headlines-boston-edition.html?showComment=1182723420000#c4059883820162394767'> June 24, 2007 at 6:17 PM

    Look at the pot calling the kettle black. I have WORK!

     

  3. Writer said...
    http://writtenpyramids.blogspot.com/2007/05/headlines-boston-edition.html?showComment=1182824520000#c2282491366253740632'> June 25, 2007 at 10:22 PM

    Sofia Serrano said:
    Writer,
    You don't blog enough. Curious minds want to know,
    Love,
    Sadia

    I took it down because I don't want my name on my blog

     

Search This Blog

Contact Me

Written Pyramids is a blog written by a journalist living and working in Washington D.C.

I have left my real name off of the blog so as not to imply that the blog is somehow linked with the journalism I get paid to do. (Still, I never write about my beat on this blog, and rarely express opinions about the day's news regardless of its relationship to my beat).

I would love to hear from you. If you want to contact me directly rather than leaving a comment here, I can be reached at WrittenPyramids@gmail.com.

Blog Archive

Books pyramid image originally from the British website, Explore Writing.