Insanity In T.V. Land

Thursday, January 10, 2008
I have taken to watching massive amounts of Gilmore Girls lately. It is my guilty pleasure (O.K. One of my guilty pleasures. Another one is reading the comics before the front page).

I really like the show. But the newspaper stuff kills me. I'm only on the second season, but I know that later on Rory does all sorts of impossible things like turn down an internship at a good paper because she is sure she is going to get one at the NYTimes, stage a sit in to get an internship, become EIC of the Yale Daily News through a coup, and most ridiculously, cover Obama straight out of college.

In high school, the newspaper stuff is slightly more laughable because the characters are meant to be mocked:

PARIS: The Oppenheimer Award for Excellence in school journalism is not a contest. It's a statement. It says you're the best. The best writers, the best reporters, the best editors. It says that you have crushed all others who have dared to take you on. It says that every other single school in the United States of America is feeling nothing but shame and defeat and pain because of the people who won the Oppenheimer plaque. I wanna be those people, I wanna cause that pain.
RORY: Our paper is good.
PARIS: Not good enough.
RORY: Last week's issue - .
PARIS: Was a fine effort by a bunch of kids.
MADELINE: We are a bunch of kids.
PARIS: Not when we're in this room, we're not. Flescher Prep Gazette, Broadmouth Banner, Richmond Heights Chronicle - these publications are not our competition.
LOUISE: Geez.
PARIS: The New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Washington Post - these publications are our competition.

Uh huh. Yeah Paris, a high school paper is really competing with the Times, the Journal, and the Post. Generally, that's not true at all. I don't know of any contest that would be judged on those standards, and I am pretty sure the Times is not in the running for this Oppenheimer plaque.

1 Response to 'Insanity In T.V. Land'

  1. Unknown said...
    http://writtenpyramids.blogspot.com/2008/01/insanity-in-tv-land.html?showComment=1200201600000#c3044115677743848811'> January 13, 2008 at 12:20 AM

    hehe. I don't know how many times I've been told I would love that show, but the episode I watched with you and Amanda is still the only one I've seen, and I was not impressed. In their defense, it was probably only slightly less ridiculous when we tried to compete with the Times...

     

Search This Blog

Contact Me

Written Pyramids is a blog written by a journalist living and working in Washington D.C.

I have left my real name off of the blog so as not to imply that the blog is somehow linked with the journalism I get paid to do. (Still, I never write about my beat on this blog, and rarely express opinions about the day's news regardless of its relationship to my beat).

I would love to hear from you. If you want to contact me directly rather than leaving a comment here, I can be reached at WrittenPyramids@gmail.com.

Blog Archive

Books pyramid image originally from the British website, Explore Writing.