Dot Dot Dot

Friday, April 25, 2008


I am trying to figure out what to do with this ellipsis. At the Newseum, I bought a mug that I love. It's got the perfect heft, and the best part, of course, is what it says. "Trust me. I'm a reporter." But that's not what it says. It says "Trust me... I'm a reporter" I've thought about removing two of the dots, and putting a new one at the end, because I recognize that I will not be able to create a normal looking em dash. I've thought about scratching it out with a key or using black nail polish. But I've decided to leave it to prevent the very high risk of ruining my mug. So instead I've decided that the ellipsis connotes a sinister pause, which somehow seems apropos.

0 Responses to 'Dot Dot Dot'

Search This Blog

Contact Me

Written Pyramids is a blog written by a journalist living and working in Washington D.C.

I have left my real name off of the blog so as not to imply that the blog is somehow linked with the journalism I get paid to do. (Still, I never write about my beat on this blog, and rarely express opinions about the day's news regardless of its relationship to my beat).

I would love to hear from you. If you want to contact me directly rather than leaving a comment here, I can be reached at WrittenPyramids@gmail.com.

Blog Archive

Books pyramid image originally from the British website, Explore Writing.