The Problem With Spell-Check

Thursday, July 17, 2008

From Regret The Error (I can't get enough of the literary corrections):

"Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s novel is One Hundred Years of Solitude, not One Hundred Years of Solicitude as we had it (Actor plans to film long-lost Garcia Marquez screenplay, page 20, July 15)"
-Guardian

Well done. Though this is probably worse: A friend told me today that a few weeks ago the Detroit News ran the headline "Clinton, Osama, meet to Discuss Unity." Now if that were actually the case, rather than an inability to avoid spell-check's suggestions, you'd think it would get higher placement.

1 Response to 'The Problem With Spell-Check'

  1. Anonymous said...
    http://writtenpyramids.blogspot.com/2008/07/problem-with-spell-check.html?showComment=1216382160000#c1552244376611835535'> July 18, 2008 at 7:56 AM

    In reference to the content of the post, I've wanted to read "One Hundred Years of Solitude"; Marquez is quite the acclaimed artist. But I thought I'd get confused with all the generations of family members and struggle with trying to keep track of everyone.

     

Search This Blog

Contact Me

Written Pyramids is a blog written by a journalist living and working in Washington D.C.

I have left my real name off of the blog so as not to imply that the blog is somehow linked with the journalism I get paid to do. (Still, I never write about my beat on this blog, and rarely express opinions about the day's news regardless of its relationship to my beat).

I would love to hear from you. If you want to contact me directly rather than leaving a comment here, I can be reached at WrittenPyramids@gmail.com.

Blog Archive

Books pyramid image originally from the British website, Explore Writing.